For your information we have provided a check list of items accepted and how to prepare your bulky household items for pick-up.
Please note materials not prepared in the appropriate manner will NOT be collected.
- All small or loose materials must be securely bagged or bundled/tied appropriately to facilitate efficient collection.
- Refrigeration appliances such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc. must be tagged by a licensed refrigerant handler indicating that it no longer contains any refrigerant materials (i.e. CFC's). Companies providing this service can be found in the yellow pages under Refrigeration Contractors. Items not tagged will NOT be collected.
- Appliances must have the doors removed or securely fixed to avoid danger to small children. Appliances must be free of all garbage.
- Metal swing sets, slides, etc., to be discarded must be broken down. All metal pipes must be cut into lengths of no greater than 1.2m (4 feet).
- Metal fencing materials must be bundled with a maximum length of 1.5m (5 feet), and a maximum diameter of 0.9m (3 feet). All wooden fence posts must be removed.
- All wood materials must be securely bundled and tied and able to be easily handled. Loose wood material will NOT be collected. Bundles should not exceed 1.2m (4 feet) in length and have a maximum diameter of less than 0.9m (3 feet).
- Scrap wood, wood fencing, wooden skids, picnic tables etc., must be broken down into lengths of no more than 1.2m (4 feet) and securely bundled/tied as noted above.
** Please Note: For the safety of everyone, please remove or bend over all nails.
- Tree limbs less than 100mm (4 inches) in diameter must be cut into lengths of no more than 1.2m (4 feet) and securely bundled/tied as noted above. Loose branches will NOT be collected.
- Broken glass/window panes should be covered by cardboard or boxed. Please mark as “Broken Glass” to ensure safe handling.
- To facilitate efficient collection please keep all waste material, yard waste, metal and blue box items separate.
Materials which will NOT be collected under the City's Call It In: Bulky Item Pick Up Program and must be disposed of at the Mohawk Street Landfill Site or a local recycler:
- Tires on or off the rim. Tires may be disposed of at the Mohawk Street Landfill Site. (FREE off the rim and $5.00 on the rim).
- Motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts. Batteries can be taken to the Landfill Site on Household Hazardous Waste Days. (Click for a listing of event days. in a new browser window)
- Water boilers, furnaces, hot tubs, etc.
- Construction waste such as concrete, asphalt, bricks, drywall, railway ties and other building materials.
- Liquid goods or hazardous materials such as paint, oil solvents, chemicals, cleaning fluids, pesticides fertilizers and propane tanks. All Household Hazardous Waste items can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Day Events at the Mohawk Street Landfill Site. (Click for a listing of event days in a new browser window)
- Electronic equipment can be taken to the Mohawk Street Landfill site free of charge. (Computers, monitors, televisions, printers, VCR/DVD players etc.)
- Tree limbs greater than 100mm (4 inches) and tree stumps.
If you have items that are reusable, instead of throwing them out, consider donating them to a local charity. If you are unable to deliver them, most charities offer pick up services.